News:

We're all part of a story, part of tale - but no one remembers how it began...

Forum Software Upgrade Poll

Started by TakodaVega, July 16, 2012, 04:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TakodaVega

Hello my little Forsaken ones <3~

This is a very important discussion that I need everyone's opinion on. Why? Because such a thing will bring huge changes to Forsaken.

Forsaken Lullaby is currently running on the last upgrade available for SMF 1.1.x and since last year have been doing software upgrades for 2.x versions. Meaning that Forsaken is not up to date on Security measures that could arise.

However upgrading from 1.1.x to 2.x is not nearly as simple as our updates have been. Updates have been seamless, while this upgrade is more time consuming [and will result in the forum being down for a day unless things go smoothly]. It is not however a bad thing if we are not using the newest version of SMF [as we have been running fine now for a rather long time].

The choice is more, however, to you guys. The users who make Forsaken Lullaby possible to even exist.

For the differences between the two go here: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.0_and_SMF_1.1

Forsaken will also have to go through a new theme list, as well due to the fact 1.1.x themes do not compute with 2.x themes.

Any and all comments and/or suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Do note that if it is a request to change the entire software from SMF to another one [i.e - myBB or PHP] this is way more complicated and will also cause downtime [that and changing anything in phpBB is a bitch >_>].
Only in our sweetest lullaby do we realize how forsaken we are...
Because we're living in a fairy tale of lies.

Schafflyne

Site security is too important.

I vote that we upgrade. We can work out familiarity issues afterward.

Dies Irae

Upgrade definitely, not a bad thing at all to keep up to date.

CirindeFae

Fae also votes for the upgrade. Security's a big deal. Also (and I hope I'm not the only one) I get bored easily with backdrops and such, some new ones would be totally cool. ^^;;

TakodaVega

Well this is certainly different.

The upgrade went successfully! :D Chat will be up as soon as I find the update for 2.x on it ;3

Also feel free to browse themes: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/  and send me a PM of which one you would like :3
Only in our sweetest lullaby do we realize how forsaken we are...
Because we're living in a fairy tale of lies.