News:

We're all part of a story, part of tale - but no one remembers how it began...

If You Could [Espeesix x TakodaVega]

Started by TakodaVega, April 10, 2012, 08:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TakodaVega

Shouts surrounded the hillside as she ran, however at that moment the midnight furred wolven had no conscious thought of them. It had been months since her pack had been culled for the very thing that covered her from the top of those perked ears to the end of her fluffy tail, and by the very people whom were chasing her now. The fellow two-leggeds, though they only had fur on the top of their heads. Something that Morrana had never understood how they stayed warm.

Of course that was when she discovered the joy of sheep, a few weeks prior.

She would wait, of course till their thick coats were sheared, considering that prevented her from getting a clean grip with her jaws to break the thing's neck. The creatures had been tiny, probably no more than half grown, between that babyfur and the full grown ones with the spiraling horns she avoided. She had learned her mistake the first time with a rather sore spot on her hip the next day.

Morrana had an advantage though, the two-leggeds always over-encumbered themselves, and soon their shouts were left in the distance, her full lopes turning back to a casual jog before she perked her ears. A drop, and crickets...Water! Her tongue left her jaws at the thought as she padded away on her legs to the source. A creek had broadened into a stream, shallow enough that she could cross it with no trouble but large enough that a drink wouldn't harm it. Cupping her hands, the palms lined with padding that protected them and claws that tipped them, she pulled the cool water closer and lapped it with her tongue.

Now that she had stopped running, one could get a good look at her. Her ebony pelt covered toned muscles, though still appeared thin, possibly from her scarce feeding sources until her sheep discovery. Stray strands of her longer wavy fur that suited as 'hair' coiled about her shoulders as golden eyes fixed on a shadow that appeared across the creek. Her tongue withdrew away from the water following the shadow, and promptly swallowed.
Only in our sweetest lullaby do we realize how forsaken we are...
Because we're living in a fairy tale of lies.

Espeesix

Small, delicate and bloody, a litter of gnawed bones piled around a stout stone, half submerged into the very earth it rested upon.  A flick of the wrist, and a part of a rib landed atop the pile, one end sharp from where it was snapped in two.  Tongue lapped out a few times after, cleaning the remaining blood from protruding maw and cleansing teeth after an uneventful meager meal.  Body shifted, and eyes drifted toward the darkening sky of the encroaching night.  The wind had all but died down though that would not fail to alert him to the presence of a trespasser.

One foot slid lazily from his natural pedestal, the soft muddy ground compacting under his sheer weight as second hind paw joined first on the ground.  The beast, as many had come to know him was in no rush to drive off an intruder after only just eating, and he even thought to simply return to his now warmed sleeping spot and hope the trespasser would vanish on their own.  As nostrils flared, and head ascended skyward, it became clear that whoever this was either neglected his territorial markings, or blatantly defied them.  Neither could be allowed to go without swift and harsh retribution.

Parting his massive jowls, his frighteningly large incisors were displayed to the world for but a moment in a lazy yawn.  He moved forward, caring not that the remaining sunlight would reveal his toned body.  He was built like a true alpha.  Thick, bushy mane, and thrust out chest.  Chiseled muscle beneath heavy warm fur, so dark he might very well have melded with the shadows at will.  Long toned legs suggested immense speed despite hulking appearance at first glance.  All paws were tipped with claws, perhaps blunted, but no less deadly.  Perhaps beast was a fitting description.

The river was not far for him, and he lowered himself to walk on all fours in the last few steps toward it.  He did not bother to sneak or hide himself.  If the intruder was smart, they would run upon first glance at him.  If they were a challenger, then he would make it known that he would accept this brazen attempt at take over.  What he did not expect, was what he was given.

There, at the far edge of the river was not a challenger, nor prey, nor even one he would normally expect to run off.  As he walked right through the brush of the shoreline, smashing down whatever was in his way, those golden glowing orbs of his eyes were graced with a far more pleasant sight.  That of a female, sipping from his very section of the river.  Captivated at first, he shook off his momentary shock.  A female normally meant a pack, or at the very least a roaming mate nearby, yet it was only her scent on the wind, and it was hers.  Snout pointed to the sky for a second sniff if only to be sure of himself.

Looking back across the flowing shallow water, he seated on his haunches and stared, like a living statue waiting only for an invitation to come to life.  And just when he believed his day was going to end as uneventful as it had begun.

TakodaVega

Morrana's tail moved to tuck beneath her, her ears flicked back in nervousness. She had never, not even in her old pack, seen a male that massive. He oozed alpha, and lone alpha at that. Had she wandered into his territory in her run away from the two-leggeds? She wasn't sure, her mind had been preoccupied with the thought to stay alive at the time, and then by the draw of the water that now sat between them.  She carefully lowered her hands to the ground, her hands resting on the soft shoreline. Her gold eyes met his a moment, and immediately looked down and away.

It was disrespectful for a lone female such as herself to look at an Alpha in the eye, unless invited to do so by the Alpha in question. Considering she was fairly sure by this point, considering now that she had gotten the scent of him from her quivering black nose, that she had trespassed on his lands she wasn't quite sure what the protocol would be for him to do. When her pack had been killed things were very different. The other packs, despite the fact she had been a young female without a mate, thought of her as bad luck and refused to take her in.

Which led her to the situation that was set before her. She shifted her weight between her hind legs, her uncertainty evident as she softly whimpered. In all her time, being teased by her littermates, she had never once come across such a situation, especially in her adult life. Protocol to the lands far to the east demanded a very different array of things, and lone wolves were all but unheard of. So she thought of what was the best thing to do, and spoke.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to trespass here. I had been running from the two-leggeds and did not catch your marks. I only stopped to drink, I promise to be out of your lands before nightfall," came the soft spoken female voice, though she was trembling in probably the nervousness and fear he could smell from her, she kept her voice calm and clear. As her parents, Alphas of her own pack, had told her - speak clearly or not speak at all. Keeping her tail tucked behind her, she moved backwards away from the shoreline. "Please forgive me," she asked again.

Espeesix

The dark pelted brute was silent, his gleaming eyes unblinking as they gazed upon her pretty form.  Young, was the first thought to his mind.  Alone, the second series of observations he concluded.  What male wouldn't be sizing up the potential of a female so ignorantly wandering right into the very heart of their lands.  She was part of no known pack to him, and brought with her no slew of competitors.  Then again, she was not the first female to wander aimlessly into his world, and the last had caused him quite a bit of heart ache when he learned she was but a lure to a scheming couple.

Of course, that did not mean he was about to let her slip so easily out his finger tips, and besides, she already expressed she was running from the dull sensed furless barbarians.  So, silent as ever, he would push himself  up and stood to full impressive height, no doubt equal to any alpha she was familiar with if not larger still.  Ears were erect and tail did not droop behind.  Despite no pack to back him, he was certainly taking the air of alpha.

"You barge onto my land knowing full well that you're being followed, proceed to drink from my river, and express that you are merely sorry and expect me to let you leave like that?" he questioned.  His voice was deep, gruff, and many of his words were slow, and carefully picked.  Clearly evident of one who rarely used his voice for forming words.  That he was so hostile also suggested a general lack of involvement with any other that was not there to kill him, or to be eaten by him.

"You will stay there, and you will not move or I swear to you, that it will be the last that you do."  His teeth were bared in warning, and he moved forth, stepping into the cool rushing shallow water.

TakodaVega

Morrana almost bolted by the rough voice from the male across from her. Comparatively speaking, the male was easily taller than her by a head or more. Meaning that, while she might have a slight advantage and possibly be able to get a head start if she did run, but his long strides would easily catch up to her in time. She had never quarreled with an Alpha male before, especially not on her own; it was taboo to do so. The fact he sounded angry at her didn't help in the slightest.

"I meant no harm!" She shut her golden eyes tightly, "You have to believe me, had I noticed this was your territory I would have avoided it." She finally opened her eyes to look at him. She was fairly sure he meant good by with his threat, especially if those canines of his said anything, let alone the way he spoke. Perhaps that's why he was alone out here? There was no pack smell to him, and he was far more territorial than her pack had seemed to be.

She swallowed again, whimpering softly as the male made his way towards her. It was more than the latent threat that compelled her to stay. Maybe it was the air of Alpha that hung over him like a thick cloak? His massive shadow covered her in darkness as she remained in her crouched position near the edge of the shoreline, trembling with her ears almost flat to her skull, and tail tucked between her legs. "Please don't hurt me..."

Espeesix

The dark beast eyed her closely, his muscles tense, and his back slightly arched in preparation to give chase.  He actually expected this lone female to run away, and one might even note a bit of disappointment that crept briefly across his features.  It was as if he wanted her to run, to give him cause to chase, to subdue, and whatever else he might please.  That she did not meant no need to exert his energy any further than he already was.

Step by step, he crossed that cool flowing river, finding protruding rocks to be good stepping stones at about the midway point.  It took him less than a full moment's notice for him to cover the distance from one shoreline to the other.  Mud coated his feet, but otherwise, he was clean enough.  He was slow going at first.  No sudden movements by either, lest one wished their throat torn out, and he knew it would not be him.  The closer proximity gave her the opportunity should she take it to further examine him.

His fur nearly matched her's in its natural color, but was far more coarse to the touch.  Thick, shaggy strands made up most of the outer pelt with softer bits beneath.  There were numerous places over his entire body were very faint discolorations could be spotted if one looked hard enough.  If pelt were stripped away, there was undoubtedly a lifetime of scars.  Living on one's own was a hard and unforgiving life, and he no doubt had the proof to back that up. 

The wolf alpha's slow and meticulas movements about her lasted about as long as it took him to gaze upon her when first reaching her side of the river.  In a blaze, he ducked to one side, and twisted his body around as if he were swimming through the very air around them.  One wrist was gripped, then the other, and he was behind her.  She was held, her arms stretched out to either side by an iron grip.  He did no hurt her, lest his grip on her wrists was too harsh, but he wouldn't release her for several moments as he scanned the edges of the trees, and let his ears shift about.  "You are....alone."

TakodaVega

Each slow step was almost sheer agony for the her as each step was picked up by her sharp ears. However deliberate his steps were she saw a glimpse of disappointment for a brief moment in his features. He really wanted her to run and become dinner? She wasn't sure exactly what to think about that one. Maybe he was starving and she really was the main course, which meant her docile nature was making it easy for him.

It was easy to tell that if nothing else, he was a fighter first and foremost. She could see where the patterns somewhat broke along his furline and left the presence of what was obviously scars. Scars from probably defending his territory and his hide if his gruff nature gave anything away. She had been fortunate enough to avoid those, being protected by the pack most of her adult life and being wary still once she was on her own to avoid the other 'marked' territories. She just happened to have stumbled upon his in her run without checking. She just hoped her life wasn't the price she paid for it.

One minute his scent was strong by her nose, the next she felt the quick breeze and his strong hands pinning her in his iron grip, causing a soft yelp of surprise as she struggled then in his hold. He was so fast! How in the world had she even imagined earlier that she would have been able to out run him then if he almost faster than her eyes could blink? Though she struggled in his hold she knew it was for no real use as he seemed to be anticipating something. A rescue party? That wasn't going to happen for Morrana with no pack behind her back.

"Let me go!" She cried out, continuing to struggle in his grip, "Of course I'm alone, my pack was slaughtered months ago and the packs to the north view me as a curse. They wouldn't take me in because they think what happened to my pack would happen to theirs. Please just let me go and I'll be out of your territory, I swear."

Espeesix

His eyes scanned the edges for a moment longer, and he even jerked her a bit though not to harm her, but to cause a light cry if at all possible.  Rough as he was, he seemed disinterested in hurting her, though it did not seem entirely out of the picture.  None came, not even when she loosed the yelp of shock at this initial movement or any others he might have managed to achieve.  Though he already believed what she told him, only dead fools took others at their word.

The young she-wolf might notice the cool touch of the tip of his nose as it traced along one outstretched arm and then the other.  Through it, her fur would warm and cool rapidly as he sniffed, ending at last at the back of her throat.  Her unique smell was now thoroughly burned into his memory.  "I believe what you say." He announced, but snapped his jaws at her pleas to be released.  "Silly superstitious traditions the packs have.  Though, I suppose it works in my favor."  He didn't elaborate on his meaning behind the words

His grip loosened on the little she-wolf and at first, it seemed he really was going to release her.  He bittersweet moment of freedom would be very short-lived, however.  One arm shot out, wrapping around her middle and suddenly hoisted her right up off of her feet!  She landed on one of his broad shoulders, rump in the air beside his head and arm still curled around to secure her in place.  "Why?" he questioned.  "Why should I let you go?"  he snorted and took one heavy step, then another, walking toward some unknown destination.

TakodaVega

She noticed, even in her struggles and his threats, he never tried to physically harm her. In fact he seemed interested in doing just the opposite at that given moment. That was until she stilled and felt the cool wet nose hover above her fur and with it the thorough registering of her unique scent. Did that mean he was going to let her go? She refused to get her hopes up this soon. Part of her wanted to bolt as far away from the wolf behind her as she could. Another part of her, the one who had been lonely, and had missed the feeling of Pack, wanted to try and trust the male.

Morrana felt a shiver run down her spine when his nose finally ended at the back of her neck. Her hackles rose a moment mainly because she felt uneasy so close to those jaws. Her flexed her hands once more trying to once more get out of his grip. "Superstitious or not, they protect the pack in their own ways. Even if some of the stories they have are foolish, they have kept the pack alive."

It was when she finally felt the loosening of his grip that she felt some sort of trust in the male, he might actually honor her wishes after all! She was about to profuse her thanks when he swooped her off of her feet and threw him over her shoulder, like the two-leggeds once did with their own women eons ago! She struggled, hastily stopping as she felt herself loose her sense of equilibrium and grip his fur. Her tail tucked completely between her legs as she growled lightly, her annoyance there but she thought better of it as she glanced at him over her shoulder, those golden eyes focused on him and solely him, though it was the back of his head.

"Because I doubt I'd taste good."

Espeesix

Water splashed upward as he crossed the river carelessly again, silent at first, but intent on something.  "Packs would not accept the likes of me for similar reasons.  Ultimately, it is a good thing I was run off during my cub years.  I would have never learned to survive alone otherwise.  It has made me stronger."  He laughed out, delving deep into the wooded area beyond the far side of the river.

All around his territory looked virtually untouched, as if the only inhabitants were the few small burrowing critters or occasional larger prey beast.  The only evidence that he lived there would be an occasional tree, bark torn away in warning, and his scent wafting from it in typical fashion.  They would pass by his lounging rock, the small pile of bones from his recent meal still there.  He would return later to clean his mess.

Her fears of being his next meal would be put to rest early on.  "I have no intention of eating you, but my mind is easily changed."  He flashed a quick glance over his shoulder at her whilst continuing to walk unhindered.  Steps were careful, and calculated in such a way that he did not disturb his own land in any feasible way.  It did not take him long to reach his destination.  A simple den of sorts.  A massive stone protruded from the ground at an odd angle, and beneath it, the ground had been cleared away further, allowing easy access in and out a small crevice.  Though it was not so small that standing was not an option; the male was required to slump over in order to walk.  His captive was discarded near the back of his enclosed den unkempt onto a pile of pelts from past prey.  His scent was thick on them, suggesting it was where he slept.

He sat then onto his haunches, and forepaws would press against the ground in front of him.  Golden eyes peered down at her, and he seemed to be contemplating just what he wanted to do with her now that she was in what home he had.

TakodaVega

"Why would a pack be superstitious of you?" She asked, startled at such a concept, particularly the fact he had been chased off as a pup. That meant he was far younger than she was when she had lost everything. Perhaps it was during those younger years he had gained the scars? She pondered this as he moved meticulously through his forest. Without the two-legged's presence everything about the land halfway reminded her of the land her pack had.

Her ears slowly perked up as she let the 'tour' take her mind off of the fact that she was presently over a still unknown male's shoulder and being carried off to some unknown location. She could see the various markings now that she had time to study them, and his scent clear to 'stay away' from such places. Her nose twitched lightly as her eyes caught the sight of a pile of bones, picked clean, but rather than from a larger animal by something small. Possibly a rabbit? It looked fresh still. Well at least, she knew he probably wasn't starving, as to further instill this she heard his deep, gruff voice again.

Her eyes caught his, slightly widened before he turned back to continue along his way. She made a soft sound when he deposited her moments later onto a pile of pelts. Her tail slowly untucking from between her thighs as she carefully sat up, resting on her knees with her paws tucked behind her. Again the uneasy silence filtered in as she kneaded the pelt at her feet lightly. Everything smelled like him, this had to be where he chose to sleep. "If you're not going to eat me, then what do you want with me?" Her gold eyes, now that her initial fear was gone, met his carefully. There was a curious look there, and a vacant fear, but more her curious nature than anything else.

Espeesix

The dark-pelted brute shrugged at her initial question, and was quite at first.  "Likely due to my sire."  He replied simply.  "He was disliked by many, and since I am his legacy, I fared no better in such situations."  He seemed uncaring of his place, and more accepting.

With her discarded onto his bedding, and eyes looming over her like a full moon on an otherwise dark night, he would shift in only the most subtle of ways.  Everything about him was cautious, but he seemed genuinely curious about her as she was about him.  For a time, he allowed the silence to overtake them, not bothering to answer her last question immediately.  Instead, his gaze shifted about her, following her features closely.  The wolf did not have much contact with others of his own kind, and even less with those that weren't there to take from him.

"I haven't decided." He stated at last as tongue flicked out and licked once along the side of his maw.  "You said you were running from two-legged's." he reminded and shifted away.  The alpha moved toward the opening of his small hide-away and seated in such a manner that his back pressed to the dirt wall, allowing legs to outstretch lazily.  He reclined, but guarded the only entry point of the den in such a way that this seemed more habitual than any sort of effort to keep her trapped inside.  "I would have you stay then.  If they are foolish enough to follow you here, then I would meet them prepared and deal with them to my advantage.  After that, I haven't decided yet." He said, turning his head back to look at her.

TakodaVega

Morrana waited to continue her curious questions until the were inside, storing that information in her brain. Her ears were perked on top of her head, rather than the fear she had shown earlier. Most of it was simply because she had been caught off guard, that and he'd threatened to eat her! Glancing about the den, she quickly saw if anything he had been here for awhile, probably not too terribly long, but long enough to make it his own. With the pelts beneath her, offering her an odd comfort when she had been trespassing on his lands, she glanced back towards the male with interest.

"I was, because I was careless and got caught with one of their prey animals they kept outside," she finally admitted, her nose twitching as she watched him move ever so slightly to guard the only real entrance in and out. She hesitated a moment, it was strange to have someone to talk to after having been so long without one. Moving carefully away from the furs, she moved until she was settled next to him, out of sight from the entrance, but well within his reach.

"Why would your Sire cause you to be disliked before you were even grown?" She inquired cautiously, before curling up onto her side. She rested on her elbow, ears perked at attention and her fluffy-like tail curling over her hip. It was though she was settling in to even a small temporary home, wanting to hear more stories. The part that had ached for company, having grown with a pack all her life, felt far better in his presence than her brain had.

Espeesix

He knew she was curious about him.  It was as obvious as the fear she held for him during their first encounter.  The entire trip back, he was well aware that that mind of hers was probably thinking up new questions and thus, it was no surprise when she was placed in his den that she would let out this curiosity.  He obliged, finding the idle chat to be a welcome distraction that he not had in many years.

It was when she moved toward him, that he would shift his gaze quickly and even leaned forward in preparation to either restrain or chase.  Even the fur on his back bristled slightly, though one would need a keen eye to notice.  He settled just as quickly as he had shifted when she laid down casually and propped herself up, asking another question.  He found himself gazing more than watching.  She was more than enough to catch his eye.  Young, healthy, submissive...only a few traits that he, like any upright male, found desirable.

"You are full of questions, aren't you."  He stated with a laugh and shrugged.  "He was self sufficient, and lived on his own like I do.  However, he courted a young  she-wolf from a neighboring pack and she left with him of her own will."  He explained.  "The problem was, my mother was at that time, betrothed already to the alpha of the pack she belonged.  Bad as this was, my father did not stop there.  He was ruthless when it came to us.  Pillaging other pack's hunting grounds and giving little room for explanation if any trespassed into his land.  As you can imagine, his enemies were many and widespread."  He ended the story and shrugged again, soon breaking his gaze on her and turning to look outside.

TakodaVega

Morrana hesitated when she saw his fur bristle, almost a heart beat in mid movement before continuing her path. He was obviously determined to keep her here, and right now she wasn't going to object. She had company, even if it was the gruff male who may, once the night was over, decide to eat her anyway for being a nuisance. Though she honestly doubted it, the thought still lingered. She had been raised to be a proper female, her parents had always thought she would eventually replace them in time. Yes her curiosity could have proved to be more of a curse than a blessing, yet she was still alive because of it.

Her ear flicked back before perking forward, she wondered how her parents would think about her now? She had been alone for six months with no pack to protect her. Would they be proud? Her attention tuned back to the male who she felt had his eyes on her. A weird feeling came over her, the feeling of being insecure, like she had earlier only it was as though she was being appraised for something. Judging the gaze, she hoped he really hadn't changed his mind about eating her.

"I can be," she admitted, ears perking once more as she heard him laugh. He didn't sound nearly as isolated and standoffish when he did. "I see, did your mother do nothing to keep you with her?" She asked carefully, "My mother refused to chase away my brothers, they only left of their own free will." She tilted her head, "Did you have any siblings?" She was half expecting, in this interrogation she was giving him, that he would bind her jaws together to keep her from talking. She wouldn't blame him, she had so many questions. Then again, there was no telling if he had any of his own.

Espeesix

A paw brushed through the loose dirt at his side, lifting up to eye level and letting a small stream of dust fall from his clutch.  It amused him for a brief moment while he thought of an answer, and of what he wanted to tell her, and what he felt she did not need to know, yet.  "I've been alone since I learned to hunt."  He expressed and let loose a low sigh.  "The details of my life are more than I care to recount."  Still, he would satisfy some of her curiosity.  "I had numerous siblings.  A single brother and four sisters."  Gaze drifted down as he thought about them, something he hadn't in a very long time.  It wasn't uncommon for packless wolves to have many offspring as it was more likely they would not survive as easily as if they were in a pack setting.

"We were not a pack in the typical terms, and my father made that very clear.  He ran off my brother, the eldest of us when he was of age to survive on his own.  My sisters, he found suitable mates for two of them."  His fist clenched, and he tossed away a small pebble into the night.  "A third was cut down by two-legged's, as you call them, for her hide.  It was the same night my mother escaped with me while my father remained behind to fend them off.  I do not know what became of him or my last sister, but I have my suspicions.  Before the morning came, my mother and I were found again.  She hid me, and guided the hunters away.  It was the last I saw of her."  He explained and grew gravely silent.

Perhaps, he thought, this was what he found attraction in her for.  Though he didn't know the details, she had lost her family in much the same manner, though, maybe not as young as when he lost his.  He discarded the stray thought, finding it silly to even consider, but it still wasn't long before his unblinking gaze was on her again.  "Do you know the direction you travel?" he would ask her in exchange.

TakodaVega

Morrana listened intently, her eyes watching him. She had obviously asked a very hard question for him, and part of her felt exceedingly guilty for doing so. She felt the need to comfort him, and despite not knowing how he would feel about it, moved to do so. Her warms encircled him briefly, a gentle nuzzle into his shoulder with a gentle, 'I'm sorry' whispered before she moved back to where she had been. "There might be some hope yet they may be alright, and you just have not found them again?" she said sounding half wistful at the thought.

"You at least, do not know for a fact your parents are dead like I do mine, even if it's a fleeting hope, there is still hope." She was anxious to keep that part of her alive. To be hopeful that not everything was the end, even though she saw most of her pack die in front of her eyes. The hunting party had brought back the two-legged's unaware. They had been smart, staying downwind of them so they never picked up the scent until it was too late. His question dragged her from her thoughts however as her gaze returned to him.

"I was following the path of the sun, so west would be the proper term. Though I've been going this far for almost two seasons." It had been the beginning of spring when everything had happened, food had been abundant but her pack's former territory was taken over quickly enough that Morrana had been forced to leave as it was. She cautiously flicked a rock that he had been playing with and moved it over to him with a nudge of one of her footpaws. "I know that you're trying to protect me from the two-legged's," she said carefully, "So I should feel you should at least know my name should we part ways and meet again." She perked her ears and watched him with those golden eyes of hers, though she was sweet and almost innocent like in her manners those eyes showed that she had seen a lot. "My name is Morrana."

Espeesix

The dark wolf watched her closely as she moved even closer toward him.  A brow perked, and he cocked his head to the side as she expressed some form of comfort and apology for her questions.  Though not upset with her to begin with, he did find the action quite strange on her part.  Likely due to the fact that he simply wasn't used to such attention.

Ears would shift once when she suggested that his parents may still be alive, and he leaned his head back against the dirt wall of the den.  "It is a pleasant thought, but even if they were, it would be unnecessary to return to them." He explained.  "My father would simply drive me off again, as he should.  How else should he expect his line to live on if I were to spend my days with them?  I would find no mate, and there is the risk that we would all be killed at the same time if something happened."  Nevertheless, the briefest smile to pass his lips.  It was a nice thought to think that most of his family wasn't dead, as unlikely as it seemed.

Gaze drifted back to her when she moved away; a bit disappointed that the touch was so short lived, but then, he was surprised by it taking place at all in the first place.  "Morrana..." he murmured under his breath, and said her name a few more times to fully memorize it as he had with her scent.  He looked into her eyes then, and noted the not so naive gaze.  "It is a nice name." he complemented, but if anything, it sounded like it was more forced than anything.  He was silent again, looking outside.  "Vancus..." he spoke up at last.  "If you wish to know what to call me."

TakodaVega

"Well you at least you know two of your sisters are in good hands," she pointed out as she raised her own eyebrow. "I would think his line on anyway, regardless of whether you were there or not. A mate may be important for the future of your own line, but the pack, in itself, still needs some form of unity to survive. Then again your father taught you the meaning of pack differently than my family taught me mine." She gave him a small smile though. He really didn't look as tough as he could be when he did that. It almost made her anxious to know more.

Her mother told her once, that it sometimes took a few times to find someone that suited you, she had given her father as an example but that hadn't clicked in then. Right now Morrana wrote the feeling off as attachment to the first person she had been able to talk to since her pack was destroyed. The fact they hardly knew anything sans now their names and the origin of their lone wolf status that gave them plenty to go on about. However, she yawned slowly her jaws snapping shut at the end. Moving once more to curl up beside him. "Vancus," she murmured softly before settling herself down with her back curled up against him. "It suits you."

Trust was slowly creeping into her as she closed those golden eyes, "Please don't leave." She said quietly. All her earlier excitement, the running for one's life, the near terror meeting with him had worn her down. Now that the sun had finally set, her body was compelling her to sleep. She felt safe, ironically, next to the same person that told her not a few hours earlier that he was going to eat her. Maybe it was because he had never really hurt her, only had been exceedingly cautious. It was as if she was a doll he was afraid of breaking. Squirming closer to him, so she could feel his fur against her own softer one to help keep her warm she drifted off to sleep.

Espeesix

Vancus was quiet, as was commonplace it seemed for him. Though, when one lived alone, and the only involvement with other life he had was when he was hunting prey, there generally wasn't a requirement for him to speak before now.  He thanked his mother for even urging him to learn words, and to articulate himself in a more civil manner.  His father had objected to such 'silly practices' but relented to the teachings regardless.  She might have even noticed the faint, amused smile on his lips as he thought back to the old memory.

"My father was a harsh wolf." He would say, breaking the silence at last.  "A single wolf, he would say, is more deadly and less confined than one in a pack.  The only pack needed is the company of one's mate."  He shrugged, eyes tilting to her when she moved to curl up at his side in such a manner that she was actually pressing up against him.  He couldn't really place the odd attachment she seemed to have for him, or rather, he to her.  The wolf had fully expected this to be a restless night with needing to continually watch her, lest she attempt to sneak out, or tear out his throat.  An ear twitched when his name rolled off her lips, and he even shuttered.  "I've not heard someone else say my name in many seasons.  You remind me of my sister."  He commented, laughing once as head tilted back and lids closed over eyes.

"Leave?" he questioned, suddenly, and glanced down to the girl at his side.  "Why would I leave?"  a paw pressed to her back, and digits flayed out through her soft pelt, and soft it was.  It was much different than the course strands of fur that made up his own.  "Wouldn't want you to get a silly idea to try an escape, now would I?"  he licked his lips and leaned head back again in similar fashion as before.  "I'm still not entirely certain what I'm to do with you."