News:

We're all part of a story, part of tale - but no one remembers how it began...

Survival Instinct, A Strange Future

Started by Staria, July 23, 2011, 01:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinkagai

He put his hand the odd looking young man's shoulder, "Take it easy, we don't need you choking on us, it's not like we're gonna take back the food and drink in five seconds." He then put one hand on his chest, "I'm Lucas, and this beautiful young lady is Delilah." It just rolled off his tongue that way, after all that's how people introduced themselves in movies right?

He cleared his throat and gave Delilah a goofy looking smile. "We made a lotta noise just now, so I better finish looking around real quick if there's anything I need to grab, give me a yell if you need anything ok?" Lucas gave a slight little nod to both of them and headed into the other remaining room of the old woman's apartment.

He guessed it was her room on account of the old rusted bed, the chest of drawers, and the small little bathroom connected to it. A bunch of old clothes, a jewelry box, an umbrella, an emergency flashlight under a pillow. "Not much..." He sighed as he approached the mirror to the bathroom and took a second to look himself over. He was never a runt, but he did notice a tone to his 145 pound frame that he knew didn't use to be there. It was funny how it took an end of the world crisis to get him up and out of his books. He shook his head again as he popped the mirror forward to reveal a rusted razor and some assorted medicines, most of which were useless. But there was some aspirin, and another bottle which made him smile.

He returned to the other two and gave his report, "There wasn't too much, but I did find some pain relievers just in case", he tossed the bottle of aspirin to Delilah, walked over to the sickly boy and took a knee. Lucas pulled out the other bottle from his pocket, "Take this" he said as he put the medicine in the boys hand, "It's a steroid called prednisone, I'm not doctor, but my mom had asthma all her life, this helps control the inflammation of your lungs, so it should relax your coughing."

Cador

Ash looked down at his open palm after propping himself up into a somewhat relaxed sitting position with his back leaning on the dirty backside of the couch he had been placed on. Medicine.. something he never liked taking and through most of his life really never needed. This person what did he call himself? oh that's right he mentioned his name was Lucas. Now a days it seemed even the slightest train of thought was a bit much for him to manage. Shaking his head no Ash handed Lucas back the medicine. His voice a raspy almost cracked tone to it as he told him he had no need for medicine due to the problem not being curable. What was wrong with himself, he truly did not know, nor would it seem he would ever find the answer to his many unanswerable questions.

Slowly standing in a somewhat unstable balance as he looked around the room. Dusty cracked walls of a white plaster. Most bare due to the intensity of the earthquake knocking everything from there holding places. The place was cramped and it seemed ready to fall apart should another even smaller earthqauke were to strike.

I think we should leave this place before we attract any attention. I am not sure but I have a feeling I am always being watched. It could be my imagination but...

Ash stopped himself from continuing talking. It had been a while and well with these strangers he did not want to sound like a lunatic who's paranoia was getting the better of him.

Uhh... by the way my name is Ash. It is good to see liv..people.

Staria

She wasn't surprised as the juices sloshed, knowing hunger well.  In the book store there had been no food, being they sold books and all. It had taken days to find that grocery store and she had eaten just as messily if not more. She simply gave him a smile, glancing up only as Lucas spoke. She may have said something about the chocking statement but his next statement surprised her.

She raised an eyebrow at the remark of beautiful. True, she was if you didn't mind peircings and weird hair and other unconventional things... but it was not a beauty most could appreciate. She definitely didn't expect your typical college bound, follow the rules guy like him to think so. Then again she didn't think of herself in such glowing terms to begin with. She thought herself pretty but no more.

She simply laughed, however, catching the pain reliever and absently opened the portal to drop it in. Sickness medicine didn't help? Maybe, she'd have to ask him more about that sometime. Still he was speaking before she could say to much. So she let him talk, shrugging as he spoke further.

"It's nice to meet you ash. For now we need to find supplies though... and if my apartment has some of my clothes left it'd be nice..." She said with a laugh, reaching over to pat Ash's shoulder. She glanced towards the door in thought, thinking. Finally she came to a decision. He could be right and he was too sick to walk around... she didn't need to walk far.

"You and lucas can stay here for a while though... and I can go check out some of the apartments within portal distance. Now that I've been here I can open a portal here. I can pop back in if there's trouble...." She said quietly, glancing back towards him.

jinkagai

Lucas was a little surprised when the medicine returned to his hand but he didn't question further, he knew it wasn't his place too.

"Ok man, but if you start coughing and can't stand, I'll shove this down your throat." This was in no way a threat, he even said it with a smile on his face, Lucas simply meant to show he was going to do whatever he thought was necessary to keep his friends from harm. "It's good to meet you Ash." Instead of tossing the bottle to Delilah he put it in the back pocket of his jeans.

Lucas looked from Ash to Delilah to the door, he didn't want to split the party up, but he did have to note that Ash didn't look like he'd be able to make it far, so it would probably be for the best that he stay behind. He ran his hands through his now unkempt brown hair. He also knew that she could certainly carry more supplies than he, with her nifty portals and all.

He walked up to her and smiled, trying to make the best of the situation. "I guess we'll have to postpone that 'date', be careful ok? I'll..." He quickly corrected himself and looked at Ash, "We'll be here if you need us." Turning he walked to the doorway that led back to the stairs.

Cador

Ash tried to smile back at the joke Lucas had made about stuffing the pills down his throat, but it failed to hold any weight. As Luca made his way over to Delilah, a look of raw concern on his face for the well being of the female. It was not his place to to make the two fret over his own well being. Yes he was in no shape to move but he had also gone through a lot on his own without any ones help or caring.

Yet the young teen did not say anything as Lucas bid her farewell and good hunting. She looked strong and one who could take care of herself. If anyone could survive it would be her. Yet why did these two complete strangers seem to care so much about Ash's health. Why not just leave this worn down access baggage behind. He knew back in the day he would have done that to himself if he were in their situation.

With a sigh Ash leaned back and closed his eyes. His head resting back against the sofa, in a somewhat relaxed position. His dreams of nightmares and things of the past, of things real and unreal yet his breathing still slowed as his over exhausted body finally forced his mind to drift into the depthless abyss known as sleep.

Staria

Delilah shook her head and laughed slightly at Lucas remark. He really was stubborn and concerned wasn't he? Oh well, at least she knew leaving him with ash would keep the two safe. His concern for ash was real, not just a stubborn cling to the sanity of their former world like hers was. She had never been cruel but before this she had never felt such a real need to be especially kind.

"I'll be fine, I'm a tough little thing" She said with a laugh, winking at Lucas as he told her to be careful and shifted her line of thought.  She then walked out the door, patting Lucus' shoulder on the way out. She shut the door behind her and walked with confidence next door. Another kick and she was in the room, then the next and so on. She would find odds and ends of supplies, including a pair of scissors, a brush, more food, more water, some soda, a case of chocolate bars, and some clothes that looked like they'd fit the boys.

The crowning glory of her hour long search, however would be that the shower in her apartment still worked. She knew it was a waste of water all things considered but she still took one because it just felt so good. Squeaky clean and with some new clothes she opened a portal to the old woman's apartment and stepped out, smiling at both of them.

"I found some clean looking clothes that would fit you guys if you want them.... And a working shower, you can take one if you want and then we can fill up some of the spare bottles."
She grinned at them, her hair still wet from her own shower. She pointed at the portal, leaving it open if they wanted to go in it. Absently she started braiding her hair, thinking she really should cut it sometime.

jinkagai

"So...where'd you...oh..." Lucas couldn't help but chuckle to himself, he was going to attempt a conversation, he did always hate waiting, but it seemed that his other companion had fallen fast asleep, forcing him to pace awkwardly around the room.

She appeared out of thin air causing him to stop and stare. This was the first time he'd ever seen her actually use her portals to phase walk. At least, that's what the nerd inside him called it. She brought good news as they could all probably use a good wash up, but he didn't know how he felt about wearing someone else's clothes...like he really had a choice in the matter.

"Yeah..I think a little wash up would do us all some good, just feeling refreshed can do wonders for someone's spirits." He smiled and looked to the Ash, "I'll go wake up sleeping beauty. He can get ready first."

He walked over to the pale man and very slowly took his arm and wrapped it around him, hoisting Ash up, "Come one, buddy, there's fresh water and clothes where we're going."

(sorry for the crappy short post, on my way out of town)

Cador

(OOC: Have fun)

Time flew by in his sleep like state only to be awoke by Lucas hoisting him up. It somewhat annoyed the young teen that he was being helped up as if he had never lifted himself off of a couch before, and the tone seemed somewhat mocking. How Lucas would smile and say kind words like they were best buds that had known each other since grade school. All the people who truly knew him and he had called friend and brother  had already passed away leaving him with these two.

Where did this sudden anger and resentment come from Ash did not know. they were only trying to help as Ash would have done a long time ago. But that was a long time ago where he was able to help. Now in his sorry state he could only blame himself and not them.

With a slight nod Ash walked towards the portal with Lucas's help, stopping right at the entrance. Having never seen one and also having never stepped through one. Ash wondered if other people were meant to enter. Not only that Ash himself was not as fit as the other two. Would him stepping through have some unknown concequences, or maybe some physical distrortion from entering through a tear in earths time and space.

Before he could react he was being led through the portal into the other side where they immerged without any outward trouble. Stepping into the somewhat lit room where the warm mist from the previously used shower drifted towards them like some creeping nightmare. But on the other side of that nightmare awaited the cool embrace of a much needed and over due shower.

Looking at Lucas and waiting for the man to leave the room. Even though he had showered with many other men before (not in a homosexual way) but being a football player after practice the team would shower and rush home. That was not why he wanted Lucas to leave, more he didn't want his new found teammate to notice his wound on his left side nor any other deformality he was unaware of.

Slowly Ashe climbed into the Shower room closing the door behind him and turning the water on high to warm. Not to hot for he hated sweating during a shower but not luke warm either. Once the water temperature was just right Ash slid his head and body benieth the torrent of heaven, washing his caked on dirty form as clumps of sweat and dust fell off of him in heaps. Taking some of soap and shampoo Ash began to scrub away all memory of time and the outside world fading away, that was until he realized Lucas still needed to wash and taking to much time would eventually attract unwanted attention.

Finally yet reluctantly Ash climbed out of the shower, dried of his malnurished body and threw on some new cloths before heading out of the bathroom to where Lucas awaited. With a somewhat strained smile Ashe waved Lucas on.

jinkagai

It was a strange feeling, teleporting that is, it was like jumping into a pool only there was no water, and no concussive force from hitting the bottom. He didn't know what was up or down, didn't know if he just walked into some worms mouth and happened to skip the digestive tract. Sure enough though, before he could ponder it any further gravity took hold and it took him a seconds worth of readjusting before he accidentally fell end over end.

He watched Ash make it to the bathroom and realized that he'd be fine on his own. Nodding, he turned and walked into another of the rooms. It was actually in pretty good shape, "Guess the higher floors didn't get as damaged....but, that doesn't make much sense..." He muttered to himself, but thought of it no more as he scrounged some clothes for himself. After all, his mom had always said to lay everything out before the shower, so he didn't embarrass himself just in case there was someone else in the house. Some normal fitting blue jeans, a black leather belt, a regular button down and an undershirt, by the time he had made his selection he heard ash exiting in the shower, so he scooped up his clothes and headed to the bathroom. He gave Ash a smile back and entered the room.

It was nice, getting all the gunk out of his hair, and off his body in general. When he finished he examined himself in a slightly foggy mirror. His hair was everywhere, it made him laugh a bit, his parents would have hated the unkempt look. He looked back to the clothes he had readied and had to swallow some tears as he dressed himself. He turned to the sound of still dripping water in the shower, but it wasn't water at all and it didn't come from the shower head, it came from cracks in the tiled wall.

The substance was grey, and almost looked like liquid sand as it built into the bottom of the ceramic tub.

Slowly Lucas turned the knob on the door and backed out, closing it softy...he didn't know why, but he thought it was worth a try.

He called out to Ash, "I think it's time to get going." He said as he quickly hopped in the portal back to Delilah

Cador

Noticing the somewhat hesitant way that Lucas exited the shower room and suddenly jumped through the portal to where they had originally came from, Ash took one look towards the bathroom door and without hesitation he to jumped through the portal to arrive next to Lucas and Delilah.

Ash continued to look over his shoulder through the still open portal. A seeming uneasy feeling began to creep up on him for some unknown reason. Whatever was behind the bathroom door to startle Lucas was definitely not friendly and the the group seemed to have over stayed their welcome.

It"s time we head on out of here. That strange sensation of someone watching us seems to be getting stronger and its origin seems to be coming from the other side of the portal. Ash said in his strained raspy, husky like voice.