News:

We're all part of a story, part of tale - but no one remembers how it began...

Freedom of Speech and the Online World

Started by Xavirne, July 18, 2011, 05:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavirne

I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks of this issue.

Should trollers be protected under this right?  Or are they are fault when they troll?  What about haters and posers?  Aren't they free to wreck havoc as they like?  Yes?  No?

BlisteredBlood

As a YouTube commentator, there is a risk of getting flak for saying the so-called "wrong thing". But knowing that our works are covered under section 106 and 107 of the Fair Use Act of 1976 means that we have the right to criticize popular works.

But when you're talking about trolling, that's a whole other subject. All they're doing is just posting, saying or doing stuff just to annoy people. There's really no definitive way to say whether or not they should be covered under the First Amendment, because that's what they do.

I guess what I'm saying here is that there's a large gray area in terms of what you can say or can't say on the internet.

Even the baddest of bad guys can be prettied up. U MAD?

Xavirne

I completely agree with that.  There is a ton of gray area online and offline.  I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder... and the law.  Ha ha.

Uriel Seraphim

It depends on the offence.

Mostly, I think they have a right to say what they want, no matter how wanker-esk that really is. But the second it goes real world, I have a problem with freedom of speech. Just as an example, the West Burrow Church should be burnt to the ground and people who bully kids on Facebook to the point in which they committed suicide should be shot.

But that's just my opinion and i'm a harsh bastard so :P